All in all, the installation/reinstallation of Windows could experience many errors and “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon” is one of them. In terms of solutions, you could make use of DiskPart, take advantage of Check Disk and replace the hard drive. Not exactly tech-savvy and have a hard time carrying out the solutions? Then this article is going to be of use to you.
What You Could Do
Note: Since the error “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon” mentions possible disk failures, it’s wise to back up information. To do so go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Change View by to Category, select System & Security and choose pick Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
- Step 3: Click Create a system image, tick the On a hard disk circle and pick a drive for the backup.
- Step 4: Select Next, choose additional drives if necessary and hit Next.
- Step 5: Click Start backup, pick No and hit Close.
Make Use Of DiskPart
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type cmd and hit Run as administrator.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), run these commands one-by-one:
- select disk 0
- Step 3: If you see the message saying DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk, run the command exit to close the Command Prompt and restart your computer. When the screen comes back on, install/reinstall Windows and see how things turn out.
Take Advantage Of Check Disk
- Step 1: Open Command Prompt (Admin) then run the command chkdsk /f c:.
- Step 2: If prompted, type Y and hit Enter.
- Step 3: Restart your computer as soon as the process completes. Last but not least, install/reinstall Windows and determine whether the issue persists.
Replace The Hard Drive
None of the above works? In that case, your drive is the root of the problem and you must replace it. Nowadays, hard drives for computers come in all shapes and sizes so there is no need to worry about running out of options. Still, it’s strongly recommended that you stick to models made by well-known names. After you finish replacing the driver, clean install Windows:
- Step 1: Go to another computer, launch the web browser and visit Microsoft’s official website.
- Step 2: Navigate to Software Download, download the Media Creation Tool and move the tool to a flash drive.
- Step 3: Run the tool, click Create installation media for another PC and pick Language, Edition and Architecture. Progress through the prompts and set up the options as you see fit but make sure that you use flash drive for installation media. Next, unplug the drive from its current computer and plug it into your computer. Proceed to turn on your computer and as the screen begins to load, press the BIOS key (F10, F2, F12, F1, DEL, etc).
- Step 4: In BIOS, change the boot order to the flash drive so installation media could load up first. Once everything is in order, save the changes and restart your computer. Finally, follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation of Windows.
Questions And Answers
How do I recover my computer using a system image?
- Step 1: Click Start menu then pick the cog icon to open Settings.
- Step 2: Select Update & Security, choose Recovery and Hit Restart now under Advanced startup to reach Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).
- Step 3: In Choose an option screen, Select Troubleshoot, choose Advanced Options and hit System Image Recovery.
- Step 4: Follow on-screen instructions.
What must be done to check for Windows updates?
- Step 1: Open Settings, click Update & Security then pick Check for updates in Windows Update.
- Step 2: If an update for Windows is available, download and install it.
- Step 3: Restart your computer.
I am Anshul Rana, an experienced author specializing in PC gear reviews and Windows 10 software tutorials. With a strong passion for technology and an in-depth understanding of the PC industry, I provide insightful and detailed analyses of computer peripherals, gaming gear, and software solutions. My writing style is concise yet informative, making complex topics accessible to both beginners and advanced users. Through my reviews and tutorials, I aim to offer valuable guidance, helping readers make informed decisions to enhance their PC experience and explore the vast possibilities of Windows 10 software.