Generally speaking, if Microsoft Display Adapter won’t connect, there is a good chance that the graphics driver is outdated. If you have a hard time connecting your PC to the Microsoft Display Adapter, you should update the graphics driver of your PC. Also, it’s wise to turn off antivirus software and firewalls, change the frequency band, check out the connection, reset, remove and reconnect the adapter, … Read to the end to be able to get the most out of the Microsoft Display Adapter.
Microsoft Display Adapter Won’t Connect: Causes
In most of the cases, it takes little for Windows users to connect their computer to the Microsoft Display Adapter. However, if Microsoft Display Adapter won’t connect, you should take these suspects into account:
- Antivirus software and firewall.
- Frequency band.
What Needs To Be Done
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- Step 2: Expand Display adapters, right-click your graphics card and pick Update driver.
- Step 3: Hit Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Step 4: Restart your computer the moment the process completes.
- Step 5: When the screen comes back on, connect your computer to the Microsoft Display Adapter again and see how things turn out.
Note: Sometimes, you must consider uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.
- Step 1: Open Device Manager, right-click your graphics card in Display adapters and pick Uninstall device.
- Step 2: Check the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device before hitting OK.
- Step 3: Restart your computer, connect your computer to the Microsoft Display Adapter one more time and determine whether the issue persists.
Turn Off Antivirus Software And Firewalls
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, click Update & Security then pick Virus & threat protection in Windows Security.
- Step 2: Hit Manage Settings under Virus & threat protection settings then toggle off the switch next to Real-time protection.
- Step 3: Press Windows key, type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Step 4: Change View by to Category then hit System and Security.
- Step 5: Select Windows Defender Firewall, look to the left and choose Turn Windows Firewall on or off. After you finish, check the Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) checkbox in Private network settings as well as Public network settings. Lastly, hit OK.
Change The Wireless Frequency Band
- Step 1: Open Device Manager, right-click your network adapter in Network Adapters and pick Properties.
- Step 2: Go to Advanced tab, set Property as band and Value as Auto.
- Step 3: Hit OK, restart your computer and witness the result.
Check Out The Connections
In the beginning, make sure the adapter’s HDMI end is securely connected to your PC’s HDMI port. Feel free to use the extension cable if the distance between devices is long. For good measure, search for damages on the cable and pick up a replacement if necessary. In addition to that, you must connect the adapter to a stable power source.
Reset, Remove And Reconnect The Adapter
Reset the adapter
- Step 1: Unplug the adapter from the second screen
- Step 2: Press and hold the button next to the wired connection on the adapter for 10 seconds until its red light blinks. Next, plug the adapter into the second screen again
- Step 3: Select Action center on the taskbar when the Ready to connect notification appears on your second screen, hit Connect and choose your adapter from the list
Remove and reconnect the adapter
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, select Devices and choose Bluetooth & other devices
- Step 2: Click your adapter from the Projectors section then pick Remove device
- Step 3: Wait for a moment, select Add Bluetooth or other devices and choose Wireless displays or docks.
- Step 4: Hit your adapter to reconnect.
Questions And Answers
How do I change the screen resolutions on my PC?
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Hit System.
- Step 3: Go to Display resolution in Display then change the resolution to your liking.
Where can I get the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter app?
- Step 1: Open Windows Store.
- Step 2: Search for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.
- Step 3: Hit Get to download and install the app.
I am Anshul Rana, an experienced author specializing in PC gear reviews and Windows 10 software tutorials. With a strong passion for technology and an in-depth understanding of the PC industry, I provide insightful and detailed analyses of computer peripherals, gaming gear, and software solutions. My writing style is concise yet informative, making complex topics accessible to both beginners and advanced users. Through my reviews and tutorials, I aim to offer valuable guidance, helping readers make informed decisions to enhance their PC experience and explore the vast possibilities of Windows 10 software.