If you come across an error saying “Google Chrome cannot write and read to its data directory”, lack of permission is the number one suspect. To take care of the error, all you have to do is to apply changes to security settings of Chrome. Depending on the situation, you also need to disable controlled folder access, reset Chrome, uninstall and reinstall Chrome, etc. Spare some time to check out this article and put Chrome to good use.
The Usual Suspects
Like its contemporaries, Chrome could experience a number of errors in the course of operation. In the case of “Google Chrome cannot write and read to its data directory”, you must take into account the possibilities down below:
- Lack of permission.
- Controlled folder access is on.
- Chrome issues.
How To Address The Error
Change Chrome Security Settings
- Step 1: Press Windows + E to open File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google, right-click Chrome folder and pick Properties.
- Step 2: Go to Security tab, select Edit and choose Add.
- Step 3: Type Everyone, click OK and pick OK.
- Step 4: Back to Properties, select Advanced and choose Change next to Owner.
- Step 5: Type Everyone, click Apply, choose OK and hit OK. Next, select Apply then choose OK to save the changes. After you finish, restart your computer. When the screen comes back on, see how things turn out.
Disable Controlled Folder Access
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings, select Update & Security then choose Windows Security.
- Step 2: Click Virus & threat protection then pick Manage settings under Virus & threat protection settings.
- Step 3: Scroll down to Controlled folder access, hit Manage controlled folder access and toggle off the switch under Controlled folder access.
- Step 4: Restart your computer.
- Step 5: Witness the result.
- Step 1: Open Chrome.
- Step 2: Click the three-dots icon at the top right and pick Settings.
- Step 3: Go to Reset and cleanup, select Reset settings to their original defaults and choose Reset Settings.
Uninstall And Reinstall Chrome
- Step 1: Press Windows key, type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Step 2: In Control Panel, change View by to Category then hit Uninstall a program under Program.
- Step 3: Locate Chrome, right-click it and pick Uninstall.
- Step 4: Follow onscreen instructions to uninstall Chrome.
- Step 5: The moment the uninstallation completes, restart your computer and reinstall Chrome.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change site permissions on Chrome?
- Step 1: Open Chrome, go to Settings, select Privacy and security then choose Site Settings.
- Step 2: Look for the permission you want to change for all sites then apply changes.
- Step 1: Open Chrome, visit the site whose permission you want to change, click the icon to the left of the site’s address and pick Site settings.
- Step 2: Change the permission to your liking.
How do I manually add a password to Chrome?
- Step 1: Open Chrome, go to Settings, click Autofill and pick Password Manager.
- Step 2: Hit Add.
- Step 3: Enter the website address, username and password you want to add then hit Save.
What is the difference between Chrome and Chrome Enterprise?
The key difference between Chrome and Chrome Enterprise is that Chrome is built for consumer users while Chrome Enterprise is for businesses. Chrome Enterprise allows organizations to deploy and manage Chrome devices, Chrome OS, and Chrome browser to cloud-power their workforce.
Can I run legacy and modern Windows apps on ChromeOS?
It’s possible to run legacy and modern Windows programs in secure environments via virtualization providers such as VMware and Citrix. Alternatively, you can make use of apps locally using Parallels Desktop for ChromeOS.
I am Anshul Rana, an experienced author specializing in PC gear reviews and Windows 10 software tutorials. With a strong passion for technology and an in-depth understanding of the PC industry, I provide insightful and detailed analyses of computer peripherals, gaming gear, and software solutions. My writing style is concise yet informative, making complex topics accessible to both beginners and advanced users. Through my reviews and tutorials, I aim to offer valuable guidance, helping readers make informed decisions to enhance their PC experience and explore the vast possibilities of Windows 10 software.